Built in the mid 1700’s as the canteen for the British soldiers garrisoned there, from the early 1800’s it became known as Sheriff’s House and in 1887 it was opened as the Seaview Hotel. Today, it is managed by the Sun Group and has been renamed The Savannah Beach Hotel.
Situated in the historic Garrison area, The Savannah Beach Hotel was built in the mid 1700’s as the canteen for the British soldiers garrisoned there. From the early 1800’s it became known as Sheriff’s House and in 1887 it was opened as the Seaview Hotel. Savannah Beach Hotel is located on the Southern side of Bridgetown, within quick and easy access to Bridgetown the islands’ capital, South Coast Beaches, and the Garrison – Barbados’ Horse racing track, as well as many interesting locations and attractions island-wide.
Originally, the main building consisted of two adjacent houses, but the Eastern most building is the one of major architectural interest. It is lavishly built, largely of English ballast bricks with a central hallway and double balconies, exactly like the single houses of Charleston, North Carolina. Its ornate cast-iron balconies are reminiscent of New Orleans and are of North American design; however the massive door hinges resemble the British Garrison buildings. The cannon embedded in the wall at the front of the hotel marks the division between two buildings which were joined to form one hotel. The double staircase at the end of the main corridor is typical of buildings built in the Victorian era. Because the glimpse of a lady’s ankle could stir the passion of a man, ladies and gentlemen used separate staircases. The Annex was originally the home of the Adjunct General and was later turned into a restaurant.
The furniture in the lobby typifies what may have been found in an old plantation Great House. The property has several water features, including “drip-stones” which were an integral part of the old plantations. Traditionally, these three coral pots were suspended one above the other. The water percolated from the top one through the middle one and was collected in the bottom pot which was glazed. This dripping process helped to cool the water, providing clean and cool water for the family. Today, the hotel combines the historic feel of the original buildings with a modern architectural design and contemporary amenities for the convenience of our guests.
The Garrison Historic Area
The Barbados Garrison Historic Area contains a network of well-preserved sites of historical and architectural interest which aid in telling a well-told story of the largest British military complex built in the Caribbean. The Garrison Historic Area (GHA) Project was officially launched on Sunday, October 21, 2007. The event commenced at the National Armoury Museum but the official ceremony took place in the Main Guard.
In June 2011, The World Heritage Committee has put a Heritage Stamp on the Historic Bridgetown and the Garrison areas. These sites were listed on the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation's (UNESCO) World Heritage List.
UNESCO’s website is quoted as describing Historic Bridgetown and its Garrison as “an outstanding example of British colonial architecture consisting of a well-preserved old town built in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, which testifies to the spread of Great Britain’s Atlantic colonial empire”
See here for more information on the Garrison Historic Area.